Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Plot and Structure of My Sister's Keeper

     I love the plot  of My Sister’s Keeper.  I think that it is pretty action packed.  I hate when books move slowly through the plot because I really just want to know how the book ends.  I also liked that the book was about something different.  I have never read about a cancer patient and thought that it was an interesting topic.  I was even more intrigued when Anna filed emancipation from her parents.  Even though I had watched the movie before reading My Sister’s Keeper where Kate dies, it was an interesting twist that Anna died in the book. However I think that Kate should have died in the book.  It makes more since that Kate would have died. Overall I loved the book in its entirety.
I also happened to like the book’s structure.  I thought that it was neat how the book chapters were all from viewpoints of the different characters in the book.  Each chapter was titled with one of the names.  There was also a quote in between some of the chapters.  It usually related to what was going to happen in the upcoming chapter.  In My Sister’s Keeper the author provided a lot of background information upfront. I appreciated this because in most of the books that I have read I had to dig through at least a fourth of the book to understand it.  One of the parts of structure that I didn’t like was the prologue which scared me.  It talked about Anna trying to kill Kate with a pillowcase while Kate was asleep.  I think the author was trying to show Anna's jealousy towards Kate.  The structure of My Sister’s Keeper is different from other books that I have read.

No comments:

Post a Comment